Reverie in Open Air – by Rita Dove
I acknowledge my status as a stranger:
Inappropriate clothes, odd habits
Out of sync with wasp and wren.
I admit I don’t know how
To sit still or move without purpose.
I prefer books to moonlight, statuary to trees.
But this lawn has been leveled for looking,
So I kick off my sandals and walk its cool green…
Find the rest at the Poetry Out Loud site.
(photo © Andrzej G for openphoto.net CC:Attribution).
1. Perfect summer morning spent wandering the neighborhood with the guy and the hound. First the park, then coffee, then getting a happy bunch of cherry pie roses all pretty in a vase for no reason at all.
2. After much, much controversy and important chatter in the kidlitosphere and in publishing land, Justine Larbalestier’s upcoming novel, Liar, finally gets the cover it deserves, and a gorgeous one at that.
3. Neil Gaiman says enough already with the vampire fiction.
4. The Talking Taters interview Justina, of readergirlz fame. Pure cuteness.
5. YES!!! Sara Lewis Holmes has launched the Operation YES blog and website. If this doesn’t make you want to read the book even more, then maybe you need to reread my review.
6. What say you to a little library-flavoured Ben & Jerry’s? As long as there is chocolate involved, I’m in.
7. 100 Scope Notes collection of blogger-generated debut YA covers.
8. How well do you know Mo Willems’ pigeon books? Test yourself.
9. So SO much buzz about Maggie Stiefvater’s Shiver, which debuted at #9 on the NYT Bestseller List. If Kelly Fineman likes it this much, then it must really be good. I will start reading today. I will also listen to the playlist Maggie made, that comes complete with when-to-listen instructions.
10. I kind of want to go to Chicago now. I would like to toss a Quaffle… wouldn’t you?